The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 28th December 2018 has approved the amendments of the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) Notification, 2018.
It deals with management and conservation of marine and coastal eco-systems, development in coastal areas, eco-tourism, livelihood option and sustainable development of coastal communities etc.
The Coastal Regulation Zone Notification was notified in 1991 by the Ministry of Environment and Forest and Climate Change, was last revised in 2011.
1.De-freezing and permitting Floor Space Index (FSI) for construction projects, as prevailing on the date of the new Notification.
2. Densely populated rural areas with a population density of 2161 per square kilometer will have No Development Zone (NDZ) of 50 meters from the HTL as against 200 meters from the High Tide Line
3. Rural areas with the population density of below 2161 per square kilometer to have an NDZ of 200 meters from the HTL.
4. Tourism Infrastructure will be built at a minimum distance of 10 m from HTL for densely populated areas.
5. Only such projects/activities, which are located in the CRZ-I (Ecologically Sensitive Areas) and CRZ IV (area covered between Low Tide Line and 12 Nautical Miles seaward) shall be dealt with for CRZ clearance by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
6. A No Development Zone (NDZ) of 20 meters has been stipulated for all Islands.
7. All Ecologically Sensitive Areas have been accorded special importance
8. Pollution abatement has been accorded special focus
9. Defence and strategic projects have been accorded necessary dispensation.