Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development, and Rejuvenation recently presented 82 National Water Awards in 14 categories for the year 2018.
The National Water Awards were launched in the year 2007 by the Ministry of Water Resources. The objective of National Water Award is to encourage all stakeholder including the Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), Gram Panchayats, Urban Local Bodies, Water User Associations, Institutions, Corporate Sector, Individuals etc.
The National Water Awards are established for adopting innovative practices of groundwater augmentation by rainwater harvesting and artificial recharge, promoting water use efficiency, recycling & re-use of water and creating awareness through people’s participation in the targeted areas resulting into the sustainability of groundwater resources development, adequate capacity building amongst the stakeholders etc.
The National Water Awards were instituted with the objectives of encouraging the stakeholders to adopt a holistic approach towards water resources management in the country.
The National Water Awards are presented in 14 categories which include:
1. Best State Normal Category
2. Best State Special Category
3. Best District
4. Best Village Panchayat
5. Best Municipal Corporation
6. Best research/innovation/adaptation of new technology for water conservation
7. Best educative/mass awareness efforts
8. Best TV show for promoting water conservation
9. Best Newspaper
10. Best School
11. Best Institution for successful campus water usage
12. Best Resident Welfare Association (RWA)
13. Organizations for Best Religious/Recreational & Tourism Water Uses and
14. Best Industry for industrial water conservation.